Material Flow Analysis
Flow Planner® ensures that facility layout changes are actual improvements.
Working within AutoCAD, Flow Planner® can automatically generate material flow diagrams and calculate material handling travel distances, time and cost. With variable-width lines color-coded by product, part or material handling method, users quickly see how layouts should be arranged and where excessive material handling should be eliminated from the manufacturing process. The ultimate result is a better factory layout faster.
Ask about the Core, Standard, and Pro versions of Flow Planner®.
Also available from the Autodesk Exchange App Store.
Common Areas and Tasks for Flow Evaluation Include:
- Aisle design (location and sizing)
- Dock quantity and placement
- Off-line storage placement
- Work station placement and replenishment design
- Indirect labor requirements estimation
- Plant traffic for intersection/aisle safety evaluation
- Efficient handling methods selection (Fork, Conveyor, Crane, etc.)
Tugger (Tow-Train) Route Design:
- Fast or Optimal Traveling Salesman Solver
- Uniform, Triangular, Scheduled or Sequenced Delivery
- Cart Capacity Calculation from Container Size or Quantity
- Route Return Time and Volume
- Fixed or Dynamic Route Definition
- Multiple Plant Staging Area Support
- Cart Load and/or Unload Analysis
- Automatic AutoCAD Route Flow Calculation through Aisles
Client Results Achieved:
- Reallocated 59 material handling personnel, which generated a potential savings of $4.3 million annually.
- Saved $1.3 million by integrating bar code and ID systems to evaluate inefficient flow.
- Saved $1 million annually by reducing overhead and changeover time.
- Improved drop zone assignments and reduced overall distance traveled by 3.6 million feet per year.
- Improved manpower assignments and reduced the number of fork truck operators from 11 to 7.
Current State Material Flow Future State Material Flow
Systematic Layout Planning
In addition, based on Richard Muther's Systematic Layout Planning (SLP) techniques, Flow Planner® diagrams, charts, and scores alternative designs using relationships between activities as the key measure of layout efficiency. Relationships are assigned reason factors such as supervision, noise and dirt, energy requirements, shared equipment, and material flow intensity. Since little up-front data gathering is required, multiple layouts can be created, scored, and analyzed in drastically less time than traditional, manual methods.
- Variable width and color-coded relationship lines generated automatically from either adjacency and/or flow data for up to 256 unique activities
- Intelligent layout-based relationship lines can be queried or filtered
- Sophisticated layout scoring and comparison capabilities
- Based on Richard Muther's Systematic Layout Planning techniques
- Quick and easy generation of colorful and informative layout-based relationship diagrams
- Sophisticated layout analysis with little to no data collection
- Powerful analysis routines effortlessly score and compare layout routines quantitatively.
Current State SLP Analysis Future State SLP Analysis